Collection and use of Personal Information
We collect various types of personal and sensitive information, including the information outlined below for the reasons, and in the ways, indicated:
• Customer sales information: we collect personal information about individuals when they purchase goods and services from us, including in person, over the phone, through our electronic catalogue and through our website. This information may include name, address, age, phone number, email address, credit card details and items purchased or services provided. This information is used to transact sales and to provide goods and services. Elements of the information may also be used for market research purposes and to inform customers about new products and services. When you ring us, we may also record phone conversations with your consent for quality review purposes.
• Credit history information: we conduct credit history checks with credit reporting agencies as part of our credit application assessment process.
• Loyalty program details: these details may include name, address, age, phone number and email address and is collected primarily through application forms. We also collect personal information through survey forms in which we ask individuals to provide details about a range of issues relating to their interest in goods and services and the loyalty program. Information about individuals is used to administer accounts and to develop and inform members about events, offers and promotions and our products and services.
• Competition entrant details: from time-to-time we conduct competitions and collect personal information about entrants provided on entry forms, such as name, address, phone number and email address. This information is used for conducting the competitions and to send entrants information about our products and services.
• Website: we collect personal information when individuals communicate or do business with us through our website. This may include name, email address, items purchased, credit card details and details provided in messages. Payment details provided through our website are processed through a secure web server with strong encryption. We collect de-identified statistical information about our website visitors through the use of sessional cookies to evaluate our website performance. This information may include the number of visitors, pages viewed, types of transactions conducted, time spent on the website and documents downloaded. This data does not enable us to identify individuals.
• Cloud platforms: we use a variety of cloud platforms to deliver our services and functions. Some of these cloud platforms may be based in overseas locations. We select cloud platforms if they demonstrate adequate security and privacy protections. We will take steps to require all cloud platforms to delete personal data after it is no longer required or the contract to provide the service is terminated.
• CCTV: we may use CCTV to record public areas within our stores and offices.
• Customer complaints and warranty claims: this information may include name, address, phone number and complaint details and is used to handle the issue raised.
• Recruitment information: we collect information about job applicants for the purpose of assessing their suitability for employment. This may include any information relevant for this purpose, such as employment history, education, training, qualifications, salary and reference information from referees.
• Employment and health and safety: we collect information, including sensitive information, about our staff and the ways in which our workplaces are used. Information about individuals is used to respond to issues, including responding to litigation and advising our insurers of incidents.
• From time to time, we acquire other businesses. Such transactions generally involve the disclosure of personal information from the vendor organisation to us, either as part of the due diligence process or as a result of a transfer of assets. In such instances, we collect the personal information held by the newly acquired business.
Any information we collect may also be used for purposes directly related to carrying out our business, such as quality audits, risk management, staff management, staff training and product development.